Halloween is approaching, so how about we get all lit-major on Nightmare Before Christmas?
Why not, right?
So, the other day I literally woke up thinking about the main “antagonist” in that movie, Oogie Boogie. For the longest time it’s bothered me that this character was not more developed. He isn’t even MENTIONED until Act II of the film, and after that point we continue to know very little about him except that he “eats” bugs, he’s been locked away for some reason, and Jack DESPISES him. However, we’re never given an inkling as to why he is so hated by Halloweentown, enough so that the very sight of his “boys” gives the Mayor anxiety. I feel like there was a lot to be done with that character, but in the end it kind of just feels like a cheap attempt to allow Jack (who very well should be the bad guy of this story) to have a moment of redemption by saving Santa from the very predicament his hubris landed Santa in. It’s always just felt like a tacked on character because some Disney Exec was all “hey, there needs to be a villain so we can sell toys.”
Things I am thankful for:
- Living in a world where I have access to all forms of information and knowledge right at my fingertips. How else would I get to satisfy my quest for knowledge with texts like “20 Harry Potter Plot Holes You May Have Missed” or “These Fancy Desserts Will Leave You Drooling”
- Pugs. For proving that ugly things can be adorable too, you just have to be chubby, short and snort a lot. Seriously, Honey Boo Boo wanted to make sure I gave you guys a shout out.
- Christian extremist protest groups. Thank you for proving that the sound of idiots yelling will eventually be drowned out by the collective “ugh” of society.
- Marriage Equality passing all over the nation. With all these new rights being afforded people, our country might need to pick up a new nickname… Like… “Land of the Free,” or something.
- Drake. For giving white guys who can’t dance the ability to just pretend to be doing a parody of Drake.
- Superman. For being so unbelievably lame that I am able to easily determine people I do or do not want to have comic book conversations with after simply asking “so, who’s your favorite?”
- The Media. Thank you news outlets for parodying yourselves so often that the rest of us no longer need to.
- Donald Trump… No wait… no…. no thank you, Donald Trump.
- Colorado. For getting the legalization train going, so that one of the most annoying subcultures will deliquesce, phrases like “blaze it up” and “blast a roach” will become mainstream, and some rappers will actually need to get cred in other ways, like being talented perhaps.
- Troll 2. For being the best movie ever.
- Valve Software. Thank you for teaching all gamers the concept of “you can crap in one hand and ask for Half Life 3 in the other and see which one gets filled first” while simultaneously proving that gamers are easily distracted from the prospect of new games by throwing drastically discounted old games at them.
- Maximus Thor. For being the best thing on the internet.
And of course, I am thankful for my awesome friends, wonderful family, and my lovely wife. Thank you to all those people for being in my life.
Happy Pre-Christmas, everyone!
Hey, here’s a thing I made once!
Some context: a long time ago in a state far, far away, I wrote and starred in a comedy show alongside my two good friends Joe and Matt. It was a show similar to MST3K where Joe and I would riff on old cartoons and PSAs, and we would end the show with a lame sketch. It was fun and humorous (though I imagine we probably found it funnier than anyone else).
Anyway, we did a Halloween episode once. Here it is:
(Note: We did that end sketch toward the height of the Slenderman craze and long before disillusioned teens ruined the fun for everyone.)
Happy Halloween, everybody.